Valentine’s Day is not just a time for lovers, but also an exciting time for businesses who want to help people celebrate that perfect day.
With the help of some Google data & insights, let’s explore some online moments and charming searches that makes it the most romantic day of the year.
Searching for something special
- There were 2.5 time more queries for Valentine’s Day gifts for him than there were for women.
- Although searches for gifts for girls was rising nearly 9x faster than gifts for guys. (last minute shopping…?!)
- 4x more searches related to ‘boyfriend/girlfriend’ than ‘husband/wife’. In other words, married couples don’t research as much when buying gifts.
Searching for food
- Interest in restaurant booking also increases in February, reaching a peak on the 13th as people look for last-minute reservations.
Searching for music
- Searches on YouTube for ‘All by myself’ by Celine Dion rose by 175% on Valentine’s Day in 2016.
- Year on year there has been a 44% increase in the likes of Singles Awareness Day and Galentine’s Day
Source: Google Doodles – Searching for Love
Finding a date
Apps are the new matchmakers. One in three Americans meet their spouse online. (PNAS.org, 2013)
- Advice on how to ask a man out on a date is 33% more likely to occur in February than any other time of the year
- 60% increase in searches for ‘first date outfit’
- Over 60M views of YouTube videos about ‘first dates’
Searching for kisses
Who better than Google to ask if you too shy to ask a person.
- A couple of keywords that have consistently shown at least 20% increase in the 2 weeks before Valentine’s day;
- How to kiss
- How to kiss a girl
- How to French kiss
- How to kiss a guy
- How to get a girl to kiss you
Popping the question
- Mobile searches for engagement rings grew 52% year on year.
- Online purchases of diamonds jewellery are up by 39% from 2011.
- Top searches about proposals
- How to get a marriage proposal
- What to say in a marriage proposal
- How to accept a marriage proposal
- How long to wait for a marriage proposal
- How to write a marriage proposal
Tying the Knot
- Searches for wedding invitations peak in January and anniversaries peak in June
- Honeymoon-related searches peak in January.
- Top 5 rising searches for honeymoon destinations
- Bali honeymoon package +300%
- Cape verde honeymoon +70%
- Sri lanka honeymoon +60%
- Iceland honeymoon +50%
- Maldives honeymoon +40%
Valentine’s Day evolves as we do. It’s closely entwined with our behaviours, attitudes and how we see each other.
Hopefully some of this data will help you understand how Google helps people find and fall in love.
Sources: Google Trends, Youtube Data & Google Adwords